Newbie Grower

Tips and tricks for people who grow their own pumpkins.

Moderators: The Pumpkin Wizard, Jamie

Newbie Grower

Unread postby pumpkinsrock » Mon May 10, 2010 12:03 pm

I am new to growing our own pumpkins and I have a few questions. Ok, I guess I have a LOT of questions.

1. What type of pumpkin seeds are the best for carving?
2. When do we plant them in order for them to be ripe enough to carve, but not be overly ripe?
3. How many seeds should I plant to get 50-100 pumpkins?
4. Do I buy "plants" at the store to plant, or should I plant seeds?
5. I live in a very warm climate and it gets to be 115 degrees here consistently in the summer months. Will that affect the patch?

I am really excited to have our own pumpkins this year. Thank you in advance for your expertise!
-Brooke
pumpkinsrock
Pumpkin Artist

Re: Newbie Grower

Unread postby Mister_JP » Thu May 13, 2010 12:06 pm

I'm afraid I don't have any real advise here, so perhaps I can toss in some smart-ass comments?

1. What type of pumpkin seeds are the best for carving?
Seeds are for planting, don't carve the seeds.

2. When do we plant them in order for them to be ripe enough to carve, but not be overly ripe?
Planting season.

3. How many seeds should I plant to get 50-100 pumpkins?
50-100

4. Do I buy "plants" at the store to plant, or should I plant seeds?
Buy plants at the plant store, buy seeds at the seed store.

5. I live in a very warm climate and it gets to be 115 degrees here consistently in the summer months. Will that affect the patch?
Yes, the patch will warm up to about 115 degrees.

Good luck growing your own. Sadly, I never pulled the trigger on my own patch when I owned dirt. I'm in another walk-up condo. No patch for me.
Mister_JP
Supreme Pumpkin Being

Unread postby sullyvan » Wed May 19, 2010 3:00 pm

Hi Brooke
Was going to jump in with all sorts of practical advice but then I saw that you live in a hot climate (Southwest?) so am not sure how to grow pumpkins there.
I normally plant a medium size pumpkin (Connecticut fField, for example) so you can get one or 2 carvable pumpkins per plant. Regarding how many seeds to plant, an old New England farmers saying is to plant 4 times as many as you need, as some will not germinate, some will get eaten or destroyed. Around here, we plant toward the end of May as it is really not warm enough til then and harvest in September. Also, the plants need lots of room. The vines can go 15 or 20 feet
I think your conditions are so differnt that what I have, you might want to check local sources
Good luck
when the frost is on the pumpkin....
sullyvan
Carving Machine

Unread postby gailm » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:49 am

:fleur Plant seeds. I recomment looking on-line for descriptions of the fruit before selecting the seeds. All squash plants with the exception of some cucumbers need a LOT of room (I'd estimate 250 sq. ft. for enough to get 100) unless you plan to train them to a TALL trellis, but large pumpkins probably won't stay on the vine like that because they get too heavy. They also need good fertile soil with composted manure mixed in, and insects to polinate them unless you want to go out each morning when the flowers are open and "mate" the male and female flowers. And as hot as you say it gets, you would do well to have a drip irrigation system to deliver water in concentric circles from about 6" to 18" from the stem of the plant, and a little shade for the hottest part of the day when it is that hot. The post that said about 2 carvable pumkins per plant sounds about right. You might get more fruit than that, but if you just want to carve them, they won't all be ideal. Then you have to have a plan for what to do with the ones you don't carve. I just tried candying them and that's really easy and tasty. Plus you can salt and/or bake the seeds. And save some to plant next year.
gailm
Pumpkin Newbie

Unread postby pumpkinsrock » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:45 am

I'm cracking up because I never even saw the smart ass comments from 3 years ago! HA! Thanks for the laugh many years later! And no pumpkins do NOT grow in our climate.
pumpkinsrock
Pumpkin Artist

Return to Growers Exchange