BROKEN STEM AGGGGH!!!

This is the area for exchanging ideas and techniques with fellow Pumpkin Artists

Moderators: The Pumpkin Wizard, Jamie

Forum rules
No posting or trading of patterns from this or any other site is allowed on this forum. Please refrain from asking. This includes any emails or private messages.

If you're looking for patterns, Always check the Main Site (http://www.carvingpumpkins.com)

Thank You.

BROKEN STEM AGGGGH!!!

Unread postby PARGOLF » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:29 am

Moving my kin last night and commited a rookie error. Picked up by the stem and the whole thing broke clean of to the base were stem meets pumpkin. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Anyway to put it back on? Or just leave it off?

How do I get the lid off if I do that? Maybe make a small hole in the back of the lid and pop off when needed?

This will be a display carve. Think anyone will notice the stem missing?

Thoughts
triple bogey golf
PARGOLF
Supreme Pumpkin Being

Re: BROKEN STEM AGGGGH!!!

Unread postby Higgy » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:45 am

Once you get the top off, you might be able able to us a wood screw and reattach by drilling from the bottom of the lid up into the stem. You probably wont be able to pick up the lid using thestem, but it should at least hold the stem in place.
Higgy
Pumpkin God

Unread postby Manymoons » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:02 pm

This advise may be a bit late but I actually always cut the "bottom" out of my pumpkins and just drill a hole in the top to use as a chimney behind the stem. A 3/4 inch paddle bit usually does the trick.
I also use recycled baby food jars and votive candles for illumination.
This way, I can light the candle and place the pumpkin over it without burning my fingers. The baby food jar protects the candle from the wind.
Hopes this helps.
Moons
When the crypt door creaks and the tombstones quake,
Spooks come out for a swinging wake.
Grim grinning ghosts come out to socialize.
Manymoons
Carving Machine

Unread postby Wolfiesden » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:06 pm

Hehe, everyone will notice the stem missing and you will be incessantly harassed by any average passerby at making such a novice mistake! :tas

It depends on the stem and how woody it is. If its a fairly solid stem, shoot a wood screw up through the bottom of the lid into it. Just be careful when lifting the lid so you don't wallow out the hole in the soft pumpkin flesh. If the stem is pretty fibrous, you might want to drill a hole into it using a paddle bit and use wood glue to glue a chunk of dowel into it. Then use a smaller bit and dowel and drill through crosswise through the stem and other dowel from the back (but not all the way through) and place a cross plug through the stem and first dowel to prevent it from pulling out. A bit of brown shoe polish on the end of the cross dowel will hide it well. Then shoot the wood screw like above, into the dowel through the pumpkin lid. In either case, I would use a bit of waterproof wood glue between the stem and the pumpkin to prevent flexing and provide additional holding.
"Its what you do in a herd, you help each other." Manny from Ice Age.
"Understanding women isn't about knowing what button to push, its knowing when not to push them" - Me
Wolfiesden
Pumpkin God

Unread postby race20fan » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:37 pm

The biggest problem with a broken stem is shorter "shelf life", they say the longer the stem the better it will last before rotting (pre-cutting). I have had several short stem or broken stem mold before Halloween in the past.
Don't forget. You don't have to be the best carver in the world, you just have to be the best one on your block!
race20fan
Supreme Pumpkin Being

Unread postby Higgy » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:01 pm

And that is why I prefer Michaels pumpkins, indefinite shelf life, and I can carve year round. :D
Higgy
Pumpkin God

Return to The Artists Exchange