Pumpkins & Bleach

This is the area for exchanging ideas and techniques with fellow Pumpkin Artists

Moderators: The Pumpkin Wizard, Jamie

Forum rules
No posting or trading of patterns from this or any other site is allowed on this forum. Please refrain from asking. This includes any emails or private messages.

If you're looking for patterns, Always check the Main Site (http://www.carvingpumpkins.com)

Thank You.

Pumpkins & Bleach

Unread postby jangell2 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:16 pm

We bought our pumpkins the first week of October and they are stored in the garage. It looks like the weather will not get above the 60's (knock on wood) any more. We have no spare frig and a couple are two big to fit in a frig anyway.

I was thinking of taking a mild (1 slosh into a gallon of water) of bleach and wiping the pumpkins with that. Would putting bleach on the pumpkins (even a weak solution) that far ahead of carving, cause the pumpkins any problems?

In the past, after carving a pumpking, I've covered them in towels soaked with a weak bleach solution and that has caused no problems. I also wait until the day before halloween to clean the pumpkins.
jangell2
Pumpkin God

Re: Pumpkins & Bleach

Unread postby smcelhiney » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:20 pm

Two years ago I soaked my 'kins in a bathtub with a little bleach and after about 24 hours the orange flesh (inside) was fading! I must have used way more bleach than was recommended. It was so bad I had to use orange light bulbs instead of candles. My advice, use a very small amount of bleach - I also borrow everyone's refrigerator when possible to keep the need for bleach at a minumum. Covering them with a towel like you describe may not be an issue since the skin never bleached out for me.
smcelhiney
Gourd Hacker

Unread postby 2ManyFerrets » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:05 pm

I soak my carvings in bleach water when they start to dry and shrivel. They perk right back up. I have never put bleach on an uncarved kin, don't see it being a problem if you water it down.. :sunny:
2ManyFerrets
Supreme Pumpkin Being

Unread postby sullyvan » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:11 am

By accident, I soaked a carved pumpkin in bleach solution that was maybe too strong. The sculted areas turned bright white and it actually looked really cool lit up.
For an uncarved pumpkin, as long at the it is kept cool and dry, it should last just fine. I noted that if it gets a bruise from handling, that sometimes lets the rot set in
when the frost is on the pumpkin....
sullyvan
Carving Machine

Unread postby Sariel » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:22 am

I don't think there would be a problem with doing that.
After carving I always soak mine in bleach water over night and I never had a problem with fading. I will resoak every couple of days alternating between just water and bleach water and never notice fading.
Sariel
Supreme Pumpkin Being

Unread postby 2ManyFerrets » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:18 am

I have had it bleach out the color in the shaded areas on accident before.....left it in too long or put in too much bleach. But it didn't ruin the kin, it still had a really nice glow.

:)
2ManyFerrets
Supreme Pumpkin Being

Unread postby Suzuki Trish » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:20 am

you know what.... I just scrub mine with anti bac soap (carex) and they last fine! uncarved the least moisture the better i think.... just keep em cool and dry x
Live...Love...be happy
Suzuki Trish
Carving Machine

Unread postby sullyvan » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:26 pm

cool and dry, I am going with that now. We did 35 kins Saturday for a pumpkin fest at the local zoo that is coming up this weekend. 7 days before the event, so was worrying about them crapping out. I shave and sculpt everything, no carving through, so everything stays solid and in a pinch I can fill them with water and a spot of bleach. But I am going to keep them dry as long as I can to keep them from getting mushy. i think we are going to make it. Goal is 75
when the frost is on the pumpkin....
sullyvan
Carving Machine

Unread postby Nevermore » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:37 pm

You go Sully! I'm rooting for you :D
Remember to post the pics!
Nevermore
Supreme Pumpkin Being

Unread postby Kenny » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:27 pm

When you soak a carved pumpkin in water, how do you make sure it does not push out any hanging pieces?
KenK_TimR.jpg
KenK_TimR.jpg (162.64 KiB) Viewed 2257 times
Kenny
Gourd Hacker

Unread postby 2ManyFerrets » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:52 pm

If it has very delicate hangingpieces, I prop it up on its side so it doesn't 'sit' on the delicate spot. Also with it being in water its not as heavy so the weight of the kin isn't as heavy.....

You can spray it with a water bottle, and I also scrub mine with a toothbrush and 'soft scrub with bleach'..

Kenny-nice carving..
2ManyFerrets
Supreme Pumpkin Being

Unread postby jangell2 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:16 pm

2ManyFerrets wrote:You can spray it with a water bottle, and I also scrub mine with a toothbrush and 'soft scrub with bleach'..
And it's very unlikely your pumpkin will need to visit the dentist. :D
jangell2
Pumpkin God

Unread postby Nevermore » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:58 pm

Ferrets looks like your Octoberfest kin turned out real well..
Thanks for the bleach technique :)
Kenny, I can see why you're worried about your kin...very nice carve!
Nevermore
Supreme Pumpkin Being

Unread postby Kenny » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:33 pm

A huge thanks for the suggestions and for the compliments on my '08 tribute pumpkin.

Every year I choose one celebrity that died that year for the "tribute" pumpkin and I finish my carving the day of Halloween.
However, '09 has been a banner year for dead celebs and I have decided to do three.

Using the imersing method how long before Halloween can I start carving?
How bout the spray bottel method? and what about wet towels?

Thanks in advance for your experienced/valued input!

I have attached my '07 "tribute" pumpkin...
Attachments
luciano P.jpg
luciano P.jpg (19.74 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
Kenny
Gourd Hacker

Unread postby Nevermore » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:56 pm

Very nice tribute..Pavarotti would be pleased.
Wonder who your 3 will be this year :D
Nevermore
Supreme Pumpkin Being

Return to The Artists Exchange