How to smooth the inside of a fake pumpkin

This forum is for beginning carvers who need help from more experienced pumpkin artists

Moderators: The Pumpkin Wizard, Jamie

Forum rules
No posting or trading of patterns from this or any other site is allowed on this forum. Please refrain from asking. This includes any emails or private messages.

If you're looking for patterns, Always check the Main Site first (http://www.carvingpumpkins.com)

Thank You.

How to smooth the inside of a fake pumpkin

Unread postby whitedog » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:05 pm

I am trying my first Funkin and it has a pretty uneven surface on the inside. I have read that some even this out with a dremel. My question is how to do this realiably, as it seems the dremel cannot maintain the angle needed to do so (ie, the tool is too big/long). Has anyone else had this problem, and how did you solve it? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
whitedog
Pumpkin Newbie

Re: How to smooth the inside of a fake pumpkin

Unread postby The Pumpkin Wizard » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:27 pm

I never have much of a problem with the lumpy insides of the Funkins, but when I did, I've followed the advise of some folks on the boards, and use a drill with a flex shaft attached to a wire brush on the inside. That seems to work best, since a drill have the torque you need to bend the shaft and drive the brush. You'll burn your Dremel out even if you use a flex shaft with it try to do it that way.
The Pumpkin Wizard
Site Admin

Unread postby whitedog » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:32 am

Thanks for the advice - I will look into that option. I certainly don't want to burn out my dremel during prime season, at least not smoothing out interiors. I usually use Michael's pumpkins, and have never really had this issue with them. Thanks again!
whitedog
Pumpkin Newbie

Unread postby race20fan » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:32 pm

The Wiz is right. I have a bit that is a paint and rust stripper bit. You have to use your regular drill with a bit extender and go easy, it doesn't take much and you will get groves from the bit. Light pressure and let the bit do the work.
Don't forget. You don't have to be the best carver in the world, you just have to be the best one on your block!
race20fan
Supreme Pumpkin Being

Return to Beginners Carving Help